All Mercersburg Academy employees must take the following steps to protect themselves and others from the spread of COVID-19:
1. Obtain a nasal swab PCR COVID-19 test within 14 days of student arrival to campus. The result of this test must be sent to the Rutherford Health and Wellness Center.
2. Practice physical distancing:
- Keep at least six feet between you and others at all times in the workplace.
- No handshaking.
- No gatherings of five or more people indoors.
- No gatherings of 25 or more people outdoors.
- Only one person per campus vehicle is permitted.
- Physical distancing should also be practiced anytime you are outside of your home.
3. Practice good hygiene:
- Wash your hands before arriving on campus.
- Wash your hands often throughout the day and for at least 20 seconds.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or the inside of your elbow when you sneeze or cough.
- If someone around you is coughing or sneezing, back away.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid sharing tools, phones, desks, and other objects in the workplace, if possible.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces before using, including those surfaces inside your vehicle when traveling to and from work or other off-site visits.
- Wipe down all door handles and frequently touched surfaces within your personal office at the end of your shift.
4. Wear a mask while working on campus, in accordance with the Pennsylvania Secretary of Health’s order. The full COVID-19 Face Mask Policy is found here.
5. Avoid using mass transit during the COVID-19 pandemic.
6. Notify your supervisor and Human Resources if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, persistent dry cough, difficulty breathing). You will be instructed to get medical care (consider telemedicine) and to stay home until further notice according to our protocol for addressing potential COVID-19 cases. Information pursuant to these guidelines should be reported immediately to Human Resources.
In accordance with Pennsylvania Department of Health and CDC guidelines, Mercersburg Academy has established these procedures to protect employees and mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
1. We will enforce physical distancing. Employees must maintain social distancing at all times within our workspaces or while engaged in any work activities outside the employee’s home.
2. If a meeting must be held in person, attendees will be limited to the fewest number possible, not to exceed five employees at one time, and we will maintain a physical distance of six feet.
3. We will clean and disinfect workspaces, and all high-touch areas will be cleaned and disinfected routinely (not less than each day) in accordance with guidelines issued by the CDC.
4. We will provide employees access to regular handwashing with soap, hand sanitizer, and disinfectant wipes.
5. We will provide masks for employees to wear, enforce their use during their time at work according to the Face Mask Policy referenced above, and make it a requirement to wear the masks, except to the extent an employee is using break time to eat or drink, in accordance with guidance from the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the CDC. We may do so by approving cloth masks obtained or made by employees in accordance with state guidelines.
6. Non-essential visitors are prohibited from entering our buildings.
7. We will take the following additional steps to facilitate and enforce physical distancing:
- Stagger work start and stop times and break times for employees who must report to a specific building or office, when practicable.
- Provide a sufficient amount of space for employees to have breaks and meals while maintaining a physical distance of six feet, and arrange seating to have employees facing forward and not across from each other in eating and break settings.
- Limit persons in employee common areas at any one time to the number of employees that can maintain a physical distance of six feet.
8. We have established protocols in the event that an employee or program participant is COVID-19 positive or is probably COVID-19 positive. All employees must report any symptoms of COVID-19 and seek medical advice so that a prompt determination can be made as to appropriate responsive measures. Sick employees should follow CDC-recommended steps. Employees should not return to work until the CDC criteria to discontinue home isolation is met, in consultation with health care providers and state and local health departments. In the event that there is a workplace exposure at Mercersburg Academy, we will take the following steps:
- Close off areas visited by the person who is a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19. Open outside doors and windows and use ventilation fans to increase air circulation in the area. Wait a minimum of 24 hours, or as long as practical, before beginning cleaning and disinfection. Cleaning staff should clean and disinfect all areas used by the ill person, such as offices, bathrooms, and common areas (including but not limited to employee break rooms, conference or training rooms, and dining facilities), as well as shared electronic equipment (tablets, touch screens, keyboards, and remote controls), focusing especially on frequently touched areas.
- Identify employees that were in close contact (within about six feet for about 15 minutes) with a person with a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 from the period 48 hours before symptom onset. Any such close contacts will be notified and instructed not to come to work for 14 days from the last date the close contact occurred.
- Conduct a temperature screening before any employees enter one of our facilities and send employees home if they have an elevated temperature or fever of 100.4° F or higher. Physical distancing will be maintained during the screening process.
9. We will ensure that the facility has a sufficient number of employees to perform all measures listed above effectively and in a manner that ensures the safety of employees, students, and the public.