Join us in celebrating Mercersburg’s Class of 2019 on Commencement Weekend, May 24–25, 2019!
Commencement will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 25, on the lawn between Keil Hall and South Cottage. Unreserved seating will be available on chairs and bleachers in front of the graduation platform. Overflow/air-conditioned seating will be available in the Edwards Room of Keil Hall, where a video simulcast of the ceremony will be shown.
Magdalena Kala ’09 will give this year's Commencement address. A native of Poland, Magdalena was valedictorian of her Mercersburg class and attended Harvard University (A.B. in economics) and Stanford University (MBA). She is a vice president of consumer, retail, and restaurant investing at Bain Capital and an angel investor in consumer startups.
In the event of inclement weather, Commencement will take place in the Hale Field House. Following the ceremony, a buffet luncheon will be held in Ford Hall. Graduates will then be expected to remove their belongings from the dormitories, leaving their rooms clean, and depart campus that afternoon.
We will gather as a community for the traditional Baccalaureate service at 7 p.m. Friday, May 24, in the Irvine Memorial Chapel. Faculty member Frank Rutherford ’70 P '03, '06, '06 will be the featured speaker.
Frank has been a member of the Mercersburg faculty since 1976 and has served in a number of roles over the last four decades, including school registrar, director of instructional technology, and science teacher. He also holds the school’s Archibald H. Rutledge Chair.
Frank and his wife, Associate Head of School Debbie Rutherford, have given more than 80 years of combined service to Mercersburg and will retire at the end of the 2018-2019 academic year.
Live Streaming Available
For anyone unable to attend Commencement or Baccalaureate who wishes to be part of the celebration, we will stream live video and audio of the ceremonies on our home page. (The broadcast will also be archived for future viewing.)
See a list of area hotels and accommodations
As a reminder, alcohol, tobacco, and illegal substances are prohibited on campus.
Seniors will leave for the senior trip Monday, May 20, and will return to campus Thursday, May 23.
- Seniors and underclass students may sign out for dinner on the evening of Baccalaureate, but all students wishing to return to the dormitory must return to campus by 11:30 p.m. Seniors may sign out to spend the night with their parents but should plan to return to campus no later than 9 a.m. Saturday morning. (Only seniors may sign out to spend the night with their parents—all underclass students must return to campus Friday evening.)
- Seniors are required to dress in semiformal attire for Baccalaureate and Commencement. The traditional attire is black dresses for Baccalaureate and white dresses for Commencement (though these colors are not required) or blazers and slacks (or suits) with collared shirts and ties.
Dress practically for the weekend and bring sunglasses, hats, and sunscreen for Commencement. Indoor seating for Commencement will be available in the air-conditioned Edwards Room of Keil Hall, where a simulcast of the ceremony will be shown.
- After we share in the celebration of Baccalaureate and Commencement May 24–25, underclass students will remain on campus through the next week to take final exams.
- The Marketing and Communications Office will be taking photos of the Commencement ceremony, including a photo of each individual student after he or she receives a diploma. The office will follow up with an email when those photos and others from the ceremony are available to download, along with a link to this year's "Blue Edition" of The Mercersburg News.
- Commencement Weekend events will be held in a variety of buildings around campus, as well as outdoors. If anyone in your family has mobility issues or related concerns, please contact Jacquee Grace ’07, special events manager, at 717.328.6363 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about Commencement Weekend, please contact Laurie Rice in the Office of Student Life at 717.328.6119 or email@example.com