Lloyd Aquatic Center
The 41,000-square-foot Lloyd Aquatic Center opened in fall 2019. The facility includes the Olympic-size, 50-meter, 10-lane Furnary Pool with a diving area, in addition to locker rooms, seating for spectators, and office space. The building is located directly east of the Nolde Gymnasium complex, and employs a system of movable bulkheads to allow for the transformation of a 50-meter pool into two separate 25-yard courses, giving swimmers the opportunity to train and compete at both short-course and long-course distances.
The Lloyd Aquatic Center is named for Board of Regents member Philip Lloyd ’65, his wife, Peggy, and their daughters, former Mercersburg swimmers and divers Kim ’90 and Bebe ’94. The Furnary Pool honors Tony Furnary ’76, a leading cardiothoracic surgeon who was a standout swimmer and student at Mercersburg.
Hale Field House
The Hale Field House, which opened in January 2017, spans 62,000 square feet and features a competition 200-meter track with six turn lanes and eight sprint lanes. The infield area can be configured as four competition tennis courts, four basketball courts, or space for field events. The state-of-the-art surface is BSS 1000 Hobart. The facility is enhanced by an expansive lobby and a mezzanine that overlooks the interior.
In its brief history, the Hale Field House has already hosted state and regional meets, as well as Mid-Atlantic Prep League championships in track & field and in tennis.
Goldthorpe Athletic Complex/Nolde GymnasiumThe Goldthorpe Athletic Complex includes Nolde Gymnasium, as well as the Lloyd Aquatic Center, the Flanagan Pool, the Hale Field House, the Plantz Courts (for basketball and volleyball as well as wrestling competitions), and the Davenport Squash Center, as well as locker rooms. A fitness center and a wrestling/all-purpose room were added to the gymnasium in 1998. In addition, the training room provides facilities for two full-time athletic trainers. Learn more about Dwight Goldthorpe ’37.
Plantz CourtsThe Plantz Courts include three full-size basketball courts and serve as home to indoor sports including basketball, volleyball, and wrestling. The courts were given by friends, colleagues, and students, to commemorate Leonard Plantz, “whose gentle manner and distinguished service epitomized Mercersburg’s commitment to ‘Hard Work, Clean Life, and Fair Play’ and served as an outstanding example to his students, his players, and his colleagues of the faculty.”
Davenport Squash CenterThe Davenport Squash Center houses 10 top-of-the line ASB courts and viewing areas. The facility lends itself to significant interscholastic tournaments, underscores the school's belief in the importance of lifetime sports, and gives Mercersburg players access to truly exceptional facilities and resources. The building opened in 2004, thanks to a generous lead gift of $1 million from Pete and Sylvia Davenport of Chadds Ford, Pa., and the Davenport Family Foundation.
Smoyer Tennis Center
The Smoyer Tennis Center complex includes 14 all-weather courts and naturally elevated viewing areas. At the heart of the center is the David O. Frantz ’60 Tennis Pavilion, which houses dressing rooms, the Storm team room, and the tennis office. The complex was made possible by a gift from Stanley C. Smoyer ’30 in honor of his brother, Winston R. Smoyer ’28. The tennis pavillion at the center is named for Frantz, who served on Mercersburg’s Board of Regents from 1987 to 2017 and as its president from 2012 to 2017.
The all-weather Regupol rubberized six-lane outdoor track includes two horizontal jump pits, a pole vault area, and a high jump platform. Discus and javelin events are contested in the infield, with the shot put cage located just outside the track. Javelin is contested on a nearby field. In the fall, the Storm’s football team competes on the field inside the track.
The Curran Track is named after legendary Mercersburg track coach Jimmy Curran, who coached at the school from 1910 to 1961. Among his many accomplishments as a coach, Curran produced multiple world record holders and Olympians.
Wrestling CenterThe 3,600-square-foot, temperature-controlled wrestling center serves as a practice facility for the Blue Storm team. It includes two regulation-size Resilite mats, modern equipment for workouts and practices, and the wrestling office. The Storm competes in the Plantz Courts just down the hall.
Whitetail Golf ResortMercersburg's home course is Whitetail Golf Resort, which opened in 2001. Because it is only six miles from campus, Blue Storm teams can practice several afternoons during the week (including during the offseason). With large, undulating greens, this challenging course is a combination of links-style and tree-lined layout, with mountainside holes that require as much mental as physical skill. At a total distance of almost 7,000 yards, the need for carefully placed tee shots often requires a second shot of significant difficulty. Whitetail challenges every aspect of the game.
Playing FieldsWith more than 300 acres of property, the Academy has plenty of space for playing fields and other outdoor facilities. The athletic department maintains 10 grass fields for baseball, field hockey, football, lacrosse, soccer, and softball as well as Regents' Field, a synthetic-turf surface for field hockey and lacrosse which opened in 2009.
The varsity baseball field, adjacent to Nolde Gymnasium and the Lloyd Aquatic Center, includes covered dugouts and warm-up areas, as well as a large inning-by-inning scoreboard. The field honors Bruce Eckert ’62, an emeritus member of the Board of Regents and a longtime supporter of Mercersburg baseball.
Steiger Field is home to the boys’ varsity soccer team and named in honor of Thomas B. Steiger ’35, Mercersburg’s varsity soccer coach from 1948 to 1975.
Regents’ FieldMercersburg’s synthetic-turf playing field opened in 2009 for use by the school’s field hockey, girls’ lacrosse, and girls’ and boys’ soccer teams. The field’s official name, Regents’ Field, commemorates the school’s volunteer leaders—most importantly, the women and men of the Mercersburg Board of Regents who served at the turn of the 21st century, as requested by the donor.
McDowell Fitness Center
Originally the main exercise room of the 1912 gym, the McDowell Fitness Center measures 100 feet by 60 feet, with an indoor track suspended over the lower level. This aerobic and strength training facility includes 1,500 square feet dedicated to free weights and 2,500 square feet housing York “pin select” weight training machines, stair steppers, treadmills, elliptical machines, stationary bikes, recovery stations and equipment.
Today’s fitness center has lived previous lives as the Academy’s main indoor sports arena, a venue for Stony Batter theatrical productions, and the wrestling room. The state-of-the-art renovations were completed in 1997 thanks to a generous naming gift from Jack ’56 and Susan McDowell.